Sunday, March 15, 2009

Central College Regionals: One of my Worst Races and one of My Best

The first day of racing at College Regionals was one of my worst races in five years. I felt like I was all over the place, working hard and skiing slow. Although I only had one week to recover from the Birke I had felt recovered. I finished 16th over two minutes back. It sucked. The other CXC guys felt similar about their races. Although Bryan Cook was still in the top 3 he should have skied much faster.

I decided to analyze my race later and just relax and prepare for the next day. I hung out and ate lunch and focused on recovery. I went shopping for a new pair of jeans. Shopping isn't my favorite thing to do, but I do enjoy a good deal and it was nice to get my mind off of racing. GoodWill even had a pair of 30x30 jeans which are surprizingly hard to find. Mom usually gets me a pair of pants for Christmas but recently they are always size 33 or 34 which are way too big.

Day two was a 15km mass start skate race which is my favorite event. It was a new day. I skied conservatively and didn't lead more than my share. I took a few short pulls but being nervous about the day before didn't take many risks. The lead group skied a consistent pack and with 5km to go it was down to four of us. Jesse Lang, Santiago Ocariz, Bryan Cook and Myself.

Jesse led the final kilometers of the first lap and I felt bad because we were all just sitting in on him. Santi made a move to pass Jesse with 1.5km to go and with 750m to go I made my move, got a small gap and won. It was nice to be back in the game. Bryan Cook finished second and Santiago Ocariz was the top college skier.

The results are on the FIS site (click here)

Cold, clear, sunny weather made for great racing and spectating. I finally got the chance to take some pictures of the girl's race.

Lindsey Dehlin, out in front from gun to finish

Maria Stuber

Kristina Owen

JoJo Winters

No comments: