Sunday, July 10, 2016

Haig Glacier

Final Day of training Camp was also one of the best days of skiing.  A 4th of July first for me!

Celebrating 32 years
On my golden birthday Caitlin set my twin brother and I up with a behind the scenes polar bear tour. http://in-the-arena-brian.blogspot.com/2011/07/so-i-fed-polar-bear-last-weekend.html  How do you top that.  I don't know if that is possible, but one way would be to go on an on snow ski trip with the guys on your late June birthday.  Matt Liebsch organizes a group for a week on the Haig glacier in Canada each year and this year the timing of training camp kicked of on my birthday.  Coincidentally in concluded on Matt's birthday.  Although it was tough to not spend our birthday's with the Mrs, we still managed to have a super good time.

Tri Loppet Podium to kick of the weekend

Celebrating Audrey and Brad's marriage with a wonderful wedding out at Gale Woods Farms 
Catching the Sunday morning flight for Calgary and Haig Week
Matt and Andre at the glacier internet cafe
Great to turn the watch to on snow skiing in July!
Good friends, food and weather led to a successful training camp.  I pushed my training volume to 40 hours over the 8 days with the majority focused on classic striding.  I have found that the crossover from skating on roller skis to skating on snow is pretty quick, but classic striding is more of a struggle.

Enjoying an evening run with Phil, Matt, Welly and Maria
My friend Welly is a strong classic skier and I enjoyed logging many kilometers behind and next to him on the glacier in an attempt to pick up his smooth stride and glide style. 

Packing the inflatable SUPS down to Maude lake for an afternoon workout.

Pumping up the boards
Suffice to say the alpine lake paddle boarding was unique and awesome 
I could look at mountains for days, but it is even more fun to go play in them


Enjoying a nice soak after a hard day of training.

Video review of the on snow sessions
On our final day as we drove from the trail head to pick up our gear at the helicopter drop we did see a Griz 

I love going skiing, but it is always nice to be home and the routine of Run Club practice with the kids at The Club.  It was fun to show them photos of skiing just the day before.
Also nice to have Alieta and my brother in town for some fun and games.
If you would like to watch T-Rex go rollerskiing check out:  https://www.facebook.com/GoTeamGregg/videos/1116546538419665/

No comments: